Well I must say daddy is going to be in attendance of all doctor appointments that requires John to get shots, I don't think I am going to be able to handle it anymore after this day.

John had to go to the doctor for his 4 month checkup and shots. So lets just say we got an added bonus that happened after his appointment. He was weighing in at 15.2lbs, grown to 24.5 inches, and his head circumference was 16.5 cm. I mean that is almost a pound, one inch, and they didn't measure his head at 3 months when we took him in. Well his doctor begins to work on his growth charts...might I add I have keeping track of his growth since he was born, so I know where he is standing with all his percentages. So his doctor starts to talk about how he is falling way behind compared to the rest of the children born at the same time...so I ask well how far and she states that he is in the 40th percentile in everything. Then she says I want to test his thyroid hormone...which means blood work. He gets his shots which was bad enough since one shot had 3 different vaccines in it and the other was tetanus. When he cries it just breaks my heart, little did I know it was only going to get worse. Next horrible thing to be done was getting blood work on a 4 month old...oh the reason for this his doctor stated that he had inappropriate weight gain. So we go to the lab, which was so stinking hot no wonder they couldn't find any of his veins, well they search and search for his tiny veins, then go for one in the crease of his arm with no success...next they searched for one in the wrist again with no success. Then one of the techs states I wish we had a smaller type of butterfly needle over here at the clinic...as John was screaming plus sweat beads were building on his head, I almost said well why don't you get into your car and drive the 2 second drive to the hospital and get the smaller needles and while you are at it you can turn the ac on. So in the end they had to take the blood out of his foot where they sat there and squeezed his heal till they got enough blood for the test. I overheard on of the techs say hopefully this will work...well if it didn't they will not be drawing anymore blood from John.
Sometimes I love living in Weatherford but dealing with doctors I am willing to drive to the city which I think is where we are going to start going most likely heading to Children's.
Well later in that week I had a chance to sit down and look at the growth charts she gave me, not only is he not in the 40th percentile for anything other than his height, his head circumference was entered in wrong so it looked like his head had not grown in 2 months, but he is above the 50th with his weight. When his doctor was highlighting everything she said the dark line was the 40th which I knew was wrong but didn't want to correct her due to the fact that she is a "doctor". So then I had to call and correct the nurses mistake of entering in all John's information and the receptionist was not completely following what I was saying so hopefully she fixed it.
So long story short shots and blood work is NO fun. Always pay close attention to your childs records. So now we having to go back to the doctor sometime this month to make sure he is gaining weight...which is not his problem have you seen Andy and I we have 2 grandmothers who are under 4 ft. 10in but then two grandpas that were over 6 foot so he is either going to be short or tall but maybe just average.
I think anything above the 25th percentile someone should not worry about because he is growing just at his own pace plus he has doubled his birth weight at 4 months.
Sorry for the long story it is just something that really gets under my skin!
No comments:
Post a Comment