Thursday, August 4, 2011

Bye Bye Diapers

On Friday morning, I decided it was time to really potty train John since he LOVES to wear big boy underwear.

We have been taking baby steps to get to where we are now by buying a potty seat and introducing it to him, then we bought him some Mickey Mouse underwear. We would encourage him to sit on the potty and he would tell us he went "potty." I tried to make this a positive situation not really pressuring him to use the potty just simply encouraging him to think about it. We started this at about 26 months old when John was waking up dry in the morning, after nap, and learning how to hold it. Let me tell you it is hard to reason with a two year old who has his own agenda but when the big boy underwear came into the picture it was a new story.

I am only doing this so I can remember the craziness of potty training this little guy!

Day 1: I asked John if he wanted to wear his big boy underwear and for the first time in a long time he shook his head "yes!" So off we started the fun adventure of potty training. The first day was probably the worse day since he was learning how to hold it and what it feels like to need to pee but we did have a few successes when Aunt Heather came over for a visit. John also loves to have an audience so they can cheer him on so everyone in the house was expected to join him in the bathroom. He even went for a quick trip to Wal-Mart in his big boy underwear to get some stickers! John loves to eat marshmallows so he received one everytime he went potty. I wasn't for sure how he would sleep so we decided to put him in a diaper for night time.


Day 2: He wakes up dry and we go and sit on the potty but he really knows how to hold it. The good thing about this whole event is he gets really upset when he has an accident and comes to you right away if it happens. This day was a little better than before with far more successes but we still had our accidents. John slept in his undies at naptime but when it came to going night night he had gone through every pair of underwear, they were either in the dryer still wet or being washed in the washer, so we decided to put him in a pull-up for night night.


Day 3: I believe this is the day when he finally figured out what was going on after a little resistence he finally decided he liked his big boy undies. We had an afternoon of successes and a happy little boy clapping and shouting, "hooray!" We also went to Wal-Mart to get a different potty that he loved so much he rode on it through the store and we bought some more undies so I wasn't doing loads of two pairs of undies. He wanted to sleep in his big boy undies so to lessen the confusion of switching to something else during sleep time, I just said what the heck everything is washable and prayed he wouldn't have an accident.


Ever since day 3 we have been on the successful train and he is loving being able to get stickers and marshmallows. He is starting to tell us when he needs to go but we still do reminders about every 30 minutes and he sits on the potty whether or not he needs to go. There are still accidents but he gets so upset that they only happen when he is too busy playing.

We are still trying to master number 2 but I don't expect it to all fall into place right this second, I am just happy that he is loving the independence of going potty on the big boy potty. He does have two dinosaurs that he will receive when he does successfully go number 2 on the potty but for now he just says, "hi dinosaurs."


Sorry if this is too detailed but I am writing to remember the special moments in our little mans life! I will post pictures later of this adventure but they are all on my phone.

No comments: