Friday, September 25, 2009

Six Years Ago...

I do believe this is the first time I have actually been able to write about this so we will see how it goes.

Six years ago today, the world lost the greatest person I have ever known, he was a God loving/fearing man, loved his mama, passionate about teaching the youth of Owasso, a HUGE OSU Cowboys fan, and just loved life so much! Many people know who I am talking about but for those who don't his name was Mr. Mckee. He was a father figure to every student who didn't have a positive influence, teaching us in his own little way to respect everyone around us, and most importantly to live, love, and experience as much as possible we are the only ones who set boundaries.

I still remember the night we all found out, I just wanted it to be the day before so I could just spend that much more time with him, listening to his stories, hearing his laughter, and for one last hug after a great accomplishment or for a little encouragement. It felt as if someone had ripped the ground right out from underneath me and I was falling but I turned right to God praying for him, his family, our FFA chapter past and present, and anyone who knew him. I knew he was in a better place but I was still selfish and wanted him to be there the next morning for one more story, laugh, hug, and be able to say goodbye.

In the days following I seriously had some great people in my life, my parents helped me to cope, our FFA chapter became one remembering everything about him we cried but laughed extra hard because we wanted to remember all the great times, and I leaned on my closest friend, who is now my husband, he would listen to me for hours talking about Mr. Mckee but he did help me cope the best, because Mr. Mckee always told me I deserved the best and Andrew was who he was referring to. In a way I am thankful for him, he showed me where, who, and what I needed to be!

There is not one day that goes by that I don't think about him because there is always someone or something that reminds me of him, be it a Hawaiian shirt, anything magenta or fuchsia, seeing a herd of cattle and knowing what the breed is, and just all the memories I still hold onto to keep his memory alive. I still laugh which sometimes turns into tears remembering all the greatest moments with him.

One of my favorite times was when we went to Branson for officers retreat where there were a lot of memories made! The picture to the right was on our way to Branson and Mr. Mckee was pointing out to Vanessa that she was saving some cinnamon roll for later. So many memories but my favorite of all time was when he tried to convince us that he was half black. His reasoning was that all native Americans are half black that is what makes their skin dark...but he was completely joking. As officers we wrote contracts on everything we will do or not do throughout our year as officers to be great leaders, well I tend to write without reading...so I asked him to come over and read my contact, when all of a sudden he busted up laughing and I was like what..so he pointed out that I wrote I would obtain sex instead of obstain (abstain) from sex...little did I know that would be my senior moment but we were all laughing so hard I do believe we began to cry. One more from that week was just being able to spend time with both the teachers but I will always cherish every moment from that week because we all grew closer together!

We went to the National FFA Convention in Kentucky, I think I am the most thankful for that trip because I was able to sit up front and just talk to him about everything going on in our lives, gaining wonderful knowledge, and again we laughed all the time. I wish I had the picture on my computer but in a happy meal I received some Hello Kitty rose colored sunglasses and he put them on and started to sing about rose colored glasses. It is one of my favorite pictures and I smile each time I see it!

Mr. Mckee did his best to teach us all the cattle breeds but I must say it was a little unsuccessful but I can actually name a few breeds and I am sure he is very proud. Oh man all the memories of playing mouse baseball in the shop, sitting in his chair to just be chased out within seconds of sitting down, all the road trips, laughter, baseball down at the barn, soaking up all the knowledge he and Mr. Neme would share with us, his smile, and the great big bear hugs!

I still can't believe it has been six years it still seems like yesterday I was talking to him about what I needed for the feed store for the fair which ended up being nothing...so I gave him his shoulder rub which I did pretty much everyday. When class was over that day, I gave him a hug and said, "I love you papa bear." He responded, "Love you too girl." I am forever grateful for moments like that but I still have a lot to tell him but I know he already knows, I feel as if he is one of the angels who watches over me and our family. At times I still find myself sharing things with him because he was a wonderful listener and along with my parents, he has guided me down the path I am currently on. I will never forget because as long as I keep his memory alive I will be able to share everything with my children, people I meet who knew him too, and find myself laughing then crying for no reason!

To the man who always knew that God is first and foremost in life, then came family, friends, and everything else. You will forever be missed in my life along with everyone else who had the wonderful chance of meeting you. I love you papa bear, thank you for everything you were able to teach me, I am so sure it is what has helped me to cope with this loss each year. Thank you for everything, you have touched so many students lives we all are very grateful for every minute we spent with you.

On this day the 25th of September it is a day to remember all the great things he did in his time on this earth. I know he is doing wonderful things in heaven looking down on each and everyone of us with a proud smile on his face for all the things we have accomplished not frowning about our mistakes but helping us along to learn from them and making sure we don't regret certain things as well as not to fall back into our old patterns. Again thank you to the man who taught so many students what it was like to have a postive figure, how to laugh when it gets tough, and to love life as much as possible because life can be cut short. Love you Mr. Mckee, I know you are looking down on me, I sure hope I have made you proud!

No comments: