Oh my where to begin and let me just say nothing ever prepares us for the surprises of parenthood.
It all began last night when I took John up to campus to see Andy. One of our friends was holding John and noticed that one pupil was larger than the other, so being a concerned mother I took a through look at his whole eye. By looking at his eye I noticed that his pupil looked like it was leaking out of where it was suppose to be. So Andrew called his mom and I called the SoonerCare nurse after hours line just to be told that if he didn't seem to be bothered by it then it is nothing that can't wait till tomorrow.
First thing this morning I called John's doctor and we went in for her to check John over. A little side note John is weighing in at 12lb 3oz, still 22 inches long, such a short little chunky monkey! Back to the day, well his doctor started with the obvious his pupils being different sizes. So she wanted to see if they both still react to light which they both do the left more than the right. Next John opens up his eyes really big and his doctor sees the part where his pupil wasn't round it was keyhole shaped, so she went to her medical books and told me that it was either glaucoma or an infection of the brain. Then my brain starts thinking of all the worse case scenarios, oh my goodness the infection was caused by his cyst where bacteria spread to his spinal cord then to his brain causing the infection, he is going to be blind in one eye, or oh my little boy is going to have learning problems, which are all things I know I would be able to handle with grace and love. So then his doctor gets on the phone with OU Childrens and they say that we should come on in for him to have a CT scan done to hopefully eliminate the chance of an infection. So off we went to the city to meet with another doctor.
After arriving at the hospital we waited and waited in the er and then went back to wait a little longer. The first doctor came in and we told her the story, I do believe she fell in love with how cute John is. 10 minutes later the doctor we actually came to see came in, we told her the story, she fell in love with John's cuteness too, and told us she thought she knew what was wrong but wanted to get another opinion. In comes the third doctor, who we told our story to, she fell in love with John, and left to help diagnose John. Finally the second doctor came in, tells us she thinks he has coloboma, which is completely way less serious than an infection. So I let out a big sigh of relief. But she wanted to make for sure that is what it was so in comes doctor number four the ophthalmologist, we told her the story, fell in love with our little cutie, did her exam of John, and told us her official diagnosis of coloboma.
For the explanation of coloboma, it is a congenital abnormality of the eye or eyelid. It can be inherited or just happen spontaneously, John's we do believe happened spontaneously. So John actually has iris coloboma which is where his iris is "c" shaped instead of a complete circle, which allowed for the pupil to leak out and making it look elongated. He has actually had this since his eyes formed but since babies are born with black eyes we never noticed it until his eyes began to lighten which was this week, so now he has two different size pupils but later in life if he wants they make special contacts that help to hide the coloboma. He also has optic nerve coloboma which is still something he can live with.
So now that we have spent pretty much all day in the doctors office, on the road, and in the er, we are extremely happy with the outcome and exhausted. Baby John has had lights shined in his eyes which is very tiring for a 1 month and 26 day old baby so he is sleeping like a champ right now in my lap and I could not love him more than I do right now, even though he has given us an interesting first two months first with his cyst, which we are going next Thursday to get his ultrasound done, and now his poor eye. So hopefully we won't have anymore surprises in month 3 but if we do I am getting used to this and I think I will be able to handle anything but I will still be a nervous wreck.
Oh man now back to reality and school, I am just glad our little man is going to be okay and we are loving him more than ever!!!
It all began last night when I took John up to campus to see Andy. One of our friends was holding John and noticed that one pupil was larger than the other, so being a concerned mother I took a through look at his whole eye. By looking at his eye I noticed that his pupil looked like it was leaking out of where it was suppose to be. So Andrew called his mom and I called the SoonerCare nurse after hours line just to be told that if he didn't seem to be bothered by it then it is nothing that can't wait till tomorrow.
First thing this morning I called John's doctor and we went in for her to check John over. A little side note John is weighing in at 12lb 3oz, still 22 inches long, such a short little chunky monkey! Back to the day, well his doctor started with the obvious his pupils being different sizes. So she wanted to see if they both still react to light which they both do the left more than the right. Next John opens up his eyes really big and his doctor sees the part where his pupil wasn't round it was keyhole shaped, so she went to her medical books and told me that it was either glaucoma or an infection of the brain. Then my brain starts thinking of all the worse case scenarios, oh my goodness the infection was caused by his cyst where bacteria spread to his spinal cord then to his brain causing the infection, he is going to be blind in one eye, or oh my little boy is going to have learning problems, which are all things I know I would be able to handle with grace and love. So then his doctor gets on the phone with OU Childrens and they say that we should come on in for him to have a CT scan done to hopefully eliminate the chance of an infection. So off we went to the city to meet with another doctor.
After arriving at the hospital we waited and waited in the er and then went back to wait a little longer. The first doctor came in and we told her the story, I do believe she fell in love with how cute John is. 10 minutes later the doctor we actually came to see came in, we told her the story, she fell in love with John's cuteness too, and told us she thought she knew what was wrong but wanted to get another opinion. In comes the third doctor, who we told our story to, she fell in love with John, and left to help diagnose John. Finally the second doctor came in, tells us she thinks he has coloboma, which is completely way less serious than an infection. So I let out a big sigh of relief. But she wanted to make for sure that is what it was so in comes doctor number four the ophthalmologist, we told her the story, fell in love with our little cutie, did her exam of John, and told us her official diagnosis of coloboma.
For the explanation of coloboma, it is a congenital abnormality of the eye or eyelid. It can be inherited or just happen spontaneously, John's we do believe happened spontaneously. So John actually has iris coloboma which is where his iris is "c" shaped instead of a complete circle, which allowed for the pupil to leak out and making it look elongated. He has actually had this since his eyes formed but since babies are born with black eyes we never noticed it until his eyes began to lighten which was this week, so now he has two different size pupils but later in life if he wants they make special contacts that help to hide the coloboma. He also has optic nerve coloboma which is still something he can live with.
So now that we have spent pretty much all day in the doctors office, on the road, and in the er, we are extremely happy with the outcome and exhausted. Baby John has had lights shined in his eyes which is very tiring for a 1 month and 26 day old baby so he is sleeping like a champ right now in my lap and I could not love him more than I do right now, even though he has given us an interesting first two months first with his cyst, which we are going next Thursday to get his ultrasound done, and now his poor eye. So hopefully we won't have anymore surprises in month 3 but if we do I am getting used to this and I think I will be able to handle anything but I will still be a nervous wreck.
Oh man now back to reality and school, I am just glad our little man is going to be okay and we are loving him more than ever!!!

No comments:
Post a Comment